Monday, June 28, 2010

Anti-Hospitality

If you had to stand in front of a door and talk to everyone you see without prejudice, could you do it? Or would your mind put together an idea of a person before you could even greet them?

So lately I've been standing at the center of the store and helping customers as they walk by. It has its ups and downs.

The ups are I talk to much more people in a day. Most of the time they don't need anything from my department, so I end up just walking them someplace but that's not a big deal. It makes the day go by faster when you're just shooting the shit with a customer.

The downs are that I talk to much more people in a day. You can't really have a ton of good customers without a few bad ones. Oh well.

Our first culprit was interesting looking. Now I find I don't want to talk to people based on their appearance. Call me prejudiced, I don't know. I can't stand people that are odd looking on purpose. Like it's not your fault if your face is weird, but it is your fault if your pants are pulled up to your chest.

This guy was abnormally tall with a very distinctive drug-user face. You know the one I'm talking about. Like he's constantly worried and is sweating despite the building being really cool. I can tell this guy is an enemy to the world but I have to talk to him. Its my job. So he tells me this--

"If I need help, I'll ask."

I say cool. I really didn't want to help him so it works out great. The odd thing is that he continually curses at his son, and its really almost terrifying in a way. Iduno if he was mad at the kid or what. Our mobile manager Adam said he was cursing to the little boy about our store, which is just super fucking weird and I feel sorry for the little guy. Oh well. You can't pick and choose your parents. I know that all too well.

While he was leaving he told our door guy that he got helped too much and he wasn't coming back. Haha.

So the next guy I just really did not want to talk to. He was doing the pants to chest thing, which looked even worse on him because he was what I can only describe as rotund. He had his hair slicked back but it was too long so he donned what I typically call a stinky mullet. This and he was wearing shorts. Jesus christ. Shorts?

I walk up to the guy and ask him how his day is going. He just looks at me, puts his lips to his lips, and goes, "Shhhhh."

What a dick. So I say yeah sometimes I get hung over too.

I'm okay with somebody not wanting to talk to me, but that is no way to go about it. To make sure he gets plenty of attention, I point him out to the rest of the store over microphone and tell everyone to get this man everything he needs. He isn't going to get out of the store without at least 5 people talking to him.

This is something we usually do to thieves. Why? Thieves and socially inept people are ones that hate being talked to. And I would say the majority of the time it is very hard to distinguish between the two.

What you'll do is have a whole bunch of people just start asking the thief if he needs help and they usually break down and leave after a while.

Am I saying this guy was stealing? Nah. I'm sure he was just a doucherag. What I'm saying its that by not presenting yourself as a human being in a respectful manner only shows the world that you are a chicken basket with extra cunt or that you just have not worked a day in your life, and you appear no better than the subhuman trash that comes in on a daily basis to steal xbox live cards even though you can't use them without activating them at a register.

So I urge you, get a job in retail if even for a short time. Do not become this. If somebody walks up to you and asks you how your day goes, have a conversation with them. If for whatever reason you believe you are above this person, go kill yourself. It is win-win for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment