Monday, June 7, 2010

Agendas

"James, when you get older you'll realize that some people have 'agendas' and sometimes truth gets in the way of them."

Victor was a customer of mine with a very unique issue, and also the one who said that. Victor told me that he would research a purchase for months. Even years. He didn't make any moves without knowing every detail. The fact that I sold him a surge protector was an incredible feat. He was intent on getting the tv and getting out, but that's now how it works with James Harrison.

This was during finals week, and I didn't really want to be working when I still had things I needed to work on. I actually mentioned as much as we were getting him signed up for a credit card, and he asked me what I was studying. I mentioned history and he mentioned that he didn't like how people were constantly revising and changing history. I told him about a few decisions the board of education were making and he gave me the line that opened this text.

I've started to like the term "agenda" because it just sounds so rad.

"What's your agenda, douchebag?"

You know I may call in tomorrow. I'm feeling kind of sick.

Retail has the oddest way of dealing with that sort of things. Typically you will get a guilt trip.

"There is only one other person working today. Are you sure you can't come in?"

And then the sarcastic, half-truthed wish of health.

"Okay, well I hope you feel better tomorrow."

And then you sit at home feeling like shit even though you already felt like shit because you were fucking sick. Typically they'd rather you come in and just spread your sickness to all of the customers. It's the perfect way to run a business because people with weakened immune systems are more acceptant of attachments. I made that up but it is still pretty ridiculous.

Hopefully one day I can get a job where being sick doesn't affect me much. Who knows how that will turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment